Wednesday 10 September 2014

Skinny convert


Michael Jarvis is a man who likes a challenge. GIA Past President, Michael only purchased his first road bike last year and has been more used to the fat tyres of his mountain bikes. Our first 55 mile training ride was the furthest Michael had ever cycled in a single ride, that was until our second training ride a week later when we covered 90 miles. 

Michael has now officially got 'the bug' and is another convert from fat to skinny! (in reference to tyre choice of course!). 

He tells us of his commitment to a strict training plan;     

After 11 weeks of training I learnt tonight the feeling of 'hitting the wall'. I have been training as hard as I can for the last 3 weeks, even going to the extreme of hiring a bike for a very early morning ride on a birthday weekend to Kent. 

Over the last 3 weeks, I have managed to complete my circuit around the Campsies 8 times (4 of those in the last 6 days!). Every time I get to the bottom of the Tak, I wonder what I am doing there again, but after 25 minutes - when you are approaching the summit - you realise there are very few better views in this beautiful country and tonight was no exception. After 2 sessions yesterday I headed home early today thinking a quick circuit would be just the thing, that was until I got about 3/4 of the way up the return leg of the 'Crow Road' - it was at this point I thought I was about to start rolling backwards……………………. Luckily I managed to eat nearly a full energy bar and finish off my water, this plus the fact that I knew I was on the homeward leg of my circuit pushed me over the top and I limped home with what felt like 2 lead balloons attached to my thighs.  

Only 10 days to go to the big day, oh and 9 to the other one but who's counting!


Fundraising

GIA 

Event Sponsors



No comments:

Post a Comment